Carrie chats with NCAA and USATF champion Kenneth Rooks! He discusses the entire USATF race where he was 2 laps in and took a hard fall. He also talks about what it felt like to break the tape and what happens now leading into the World Championships. He also talks about getting into the sport, taking two years off of running to serve on a mission trip, what he likes to do outside of running, and so much more!
Recorded July 24, 2023
We lost Gabe Grunewald 4 years ago, but her legacy lives on in The Brave Like Gabe Foundation, and over the past 5 years they have been able to fund more than $1.3M in rare cancer research. That’s real science bringing hope to cancer survivors, and it’s exactly what Gabe had intended. One of the ways the Brave Like Gabe Foundation is able to make these grants is by hosting an annual 5K event that literally anyone, anywhere can join! Please consider registering for this event in September and using my discount code – CTOLLERUN23 – for a 10% discount. Your registration and donations support rare cancer research and keep cancer survivors #RunningOnHope.
Carrie is loving her Garmin Forerunner 265s! It offers advanced training metrics and recovery insights, a display that is easy to read in direct sunlight, and most importantly: it looks cute! Who doesn’t love that?! Get yours now at garmin.com!
Bio courtesy of BYU Athletics
– 2023 NCAA DI steeplechase national champion (8:26.17)
– Four-time All-American (three outdoor, one indoor), including three First-Team honors
– Holds three BYU top-10 records: No. 1 in the steeplechase (8:17.62), No. 1 as part of BYU’s DMR squad (9:21.18) and No. 7 in the indoor mile (3:59.65)
– In the 2022 indoor season, he combined with Brandon Garnica, Cortez Ruiz and Joey Nokes to win the 2022 MPSF Men’s Distance Medley Relay Championship with a time of 9:48.28. He was also named to the MPSF All-Academic Team
– As a freshman in 2019, Rooks ran a career-best 8:36.08 to take second in the steeplechase at the NCAA West Preliminary Rounds to advance to Nationals – Sixth-fastest steeplechase time in school history
-Parents are Ron & Judy Rooks
– Major: Civil Engineering
– Missionary Service: Served a full-time mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Kampala, Uganda & Orem, Utah (2019-21)
– An only child
– Enjoys basketball, the outdoors and was a member of his high school’s choir
– Two-time WIAA cross country state champion (2015, 2017)
– 2017 WIAA 1A state champion in the 1600m
– Broke the WIAA 1A state record in the 800m (1:53.56)
– Valedictorian of his graduating class
– H.S. Personal Bests: 1:53.56 (800m), 4:11.40 (mile), 9:20.86 (3200m)