Carrie chats with 5-time USATF Champion Sam Chelanga! They discuss his return to running, his career as an officer in the US Army, and how he is chasing his Olympic dreams at the 2020 Olympic Marathon Trials.
Recorded January 29, 2020
2020 Publix Atlanta Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K – Use code Carrie to take 10% off your registration!
Residence: Columbia, SC
Hometown: Buford, GA
College: Liberty University
Age on Race Day: 34
Qualifying Race: Bank of America Chicago Marathon 2017
Marathon Best: 2:15:02
– 2nd Lt. U.S. Army Platoon Leader at Fort Jackson
– Competed in 2016 Trials
– Born in Kenya; became a U.S. citizen in 2015
– He and his wife, Marybeth, have three children, 6, 2, and 1
– NCAA 10,000m record-holder
– Retired from professional running in 2018 to enlist in the Army
Bio courtesy of Atlanta Track Club